I have officially completed my first project of 2012! I decided to knit the hat Hermione wears in the Deathly Hallows graveyard scene. I had seen this project over a year ago and it had been lingering in my queue ever since. I wanted a smaller project for January as well as one that would make me feel like I had made progress cleaning up my list of things I want to knit. As I weaved in the last loose yarn, however I had a nagging feeling...
"Wouldn't a matching pair of mittens be awesome..."
"And I've got all this left over yarn..."
Too bad I've never made mittens before. But oh, never mind that! Well, just as quickly as I moved a project from my queue into the finished category, I added another. And with no suitable pattern for the exact gloves I'm envisioning, now I'm stuck designing my own pair. Did I mention I've never made mittens before?
Ha ha, lucky for me there is Youtube! A wonderful group of knitting gurus have compiled several very educational how-to videos with instructions to knit a basic set of mittens. Empowered by this knowledge and the sheer dumb luck I consistently design my projects with, I think I've got a halfway decent pattern brewing.
Well here are some pics of the hat that started me on this course. I guess it was hard to believe 2012 would be the year I stopped delaying my queued projects when I found new things I wanted to knit! I'm still determined to finish the original twelve I said I would though! There will just be a number of extras along the way...
Monday, January 16, 2012
Friday, January 13, 2012
I found and joined a group on Ravelry called "12 in 2012." Basically everyone has committed to completing 12 projects in the next year from their queue or with the yarn they already have stashed. I had decided to work on my queued projects this year anyway and when I saw this challenge, I knew I had to join in! It will keep me motivated, give me a place to share my progress and force me to use up some of my stash! Armed with my dresser full of yarn and a queue with exactly 12 projects, I'm giving it a go.
Here is my list in no particular order:
1) Deathly Hallows Graveyard Hat - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hermiones-deathly-hallows-graveyard-beret
2) Modern Log Cabin Blanket - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/moderne-log-cabin-blanket
3) Fornicating Reindeer Scarf - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fornicating-deer-chart
4) Superman Earflap Cap - a pattern I'll be making up
5) Animal Cracker Hat - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/animal-cracker-hat
6) Pasha - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pasha
7) Goomba Hat - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/goomba-hat
8) To Humiliate The Dog - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/to-humiliate-the-dog
9) Marisol The Knitted Mouse - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marisol-the-knitted-mouse
10) Sailor Dress for Susie-Q (my dog) - a pattern I'll be making up
11) Capitan Hat - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/capitan-hat
12) Candy Cane Twist Stocking Cap - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/candy-cane-twist-stocking-cap